The San Francisco MTA T-Line runs directly through the Dogpatch neighborhood. Take the T-Line towards Sunnydale + Bayshore to the 3rd St. & 20th St. stop. Pier 70 is a 10 minute walk with plenty of signs to show the way. If you’re taking BART, you can switch to the T-Line at Embarcadero Station.
If you plan to travel by car, we recommend using ride-sharing services like Lyft and Uber. The address for Pier 70 is 420 22nd Street and you should tell your driver to approach via 22nd St (and not 20th St). There will be plenty of signs along the way too.
Free valet bike parking is available at Pier 70.
Where to stay
The majority of San Francisco’s hotels are in the Union Square and SoMa neighborhoods. These areas have easy access to public transportation and plenty of activities while you aren’t at Universe. Unfortunately prices at San Francisco hotels can be notoriously high, and we recommend Airbnb as an alternative. If you plan to stay at a hotel, we request that you stay at a socially responsible hotel endorsed by fairhotel.org such as:
Where to eat and drink
San Francisco has been named one of the best food cities in the world with some of the most exciting trends in eating and drinking starting here. No visit to the city would be complete without visiting some of our favorites.
- Zuni Cafe, 1658 Market St
- Liholiho Yacht Club, 871 Sutter St
- Cala, 149 Fell St
- AL’s Place, 1499 Valencia St
- Nopa, 560 Divisadero St
- Akiko’s Restaurant & Sushi Bar, 431 Bush St
- Trou Normand, 140 New Montgomery St
- Leo’s Oyster Bar, 568 Sacramento St
- Blue Bottle Coffee, 1 Ferry Building & 5 other locations
- Sightglass Coffee, 270 7th St & 1 other location
- Réveille Coffee Co., 610 Long Bridge St & 3 other locations
- Four Barrel Coffee, 375 Valencia St
- Rye, 688 Geary St
- Whitechapel, 600 Polk St
- Tosca Cafe, 242 Columbus Ave
- The Treasury, 115 Sansome St
Where to meet and work
With so many amazing people from the GitHub community in town for Universe, it would be a shame to miss an opportunity to get together and connect. You also might need some dedicated space to work before or after Universe, so you might try these cafes and coworking spaces.
- STEM Kitchen & Garden, 499 Illinois St
- Workshop Cafe, 180 Montgomery St
- Stable Cafe, 2128 Folsom St
- WeWork Transbay, 535 Mission St
- Galvanize, 44 Tehama St
- Bespoke, 845 Market St